Malta offers non-EU citizens the opportunity to apply for a permanent residence permit, under the Malta Residence and Visa Programme (MRVP) rules which were adopted in 2015.
One of the most significant positive features of the Maltese permanent residence permit by investment programme, is the possibility of receiving a return on your invested funds at the end of the obligatory 5-year period. It is also possible to derive an income from your real estate investment.
Permanent residency can be obtained in Malta through an investor’s contribution to the Maltese government, and a joint investment in government bonds, combined with either the purchase or rental of real estate.
- Contribution to Maltese government of EUR 30,000
- Investment in government bonds
- Minimum investment of EUR 250,000
- Investment in Real Estate
- Minimum investment of EUR 270,000 – EUR 320,000*
- Or 5-year lease agreement with an annual rental of EUR 10,000 – EUR 12,000*
- Region specific. Application fees would apply
- Visa-free access to all Schengen countries
- No physical residency requirement
- Possible tax planning benefits
- Children regardless of age, parents and grandparents may apply for residency with the main applicant
- All family members may obtain residency within 2-3 months
- No language, medical test or interview requirements
- The investor is required to declare at least EUR 500,000 in savings, or an annual income of at least EUR 100,000
- EUR 5,000 of extra fees will apply for every additional dependent adult
- During the application processing, the investor is required to come to Malta, to submit biometrics and receive their residence cards.
- Applicants and their families may reside in Malta for 12 months of the year. However, they will be required to apply for a work permit, should they wish to work in Malta.
- Absence of sanctions and restrictions or prohibitions to entry into the EU, USA, UK and Canada
- Excellent personal and business reputation.
- Ability to confirm the legality of the source of income and available capital.
- Good health.
Who can obtain the residency in Malta with the main applicant?
- The spouse
- Children under the age of 18
- Dependent children regardless of age
- Dependent parent and grandparents